Summer Safety Tips
It’s finally here….summertime! Time to grab your swimsuits and get in the pool because the relaxing days of summer have begun. Warm weather, outdoor activities and family-fun are a staple this time of year, but unfortunately, so are the summertime hazards.
We want you to enjoy the most of your relaxation time, but there are some risks you should watch out for. Check out our tips below to ensure you and your family are safe and happy this summer.
BEAT THE HEAT
Summer is all about being outside, but make sure that the heat doesn’t ruin all of the the fun for you and your family.
- Drink plenty of water (The recommendation is that you drink half of your body weight in ounces of water daily.)
- Apply plenty of sunscreen and reapply often
- Keep curtains drawn to help decrease temperature inside
- Install weather strips under doors to help keep your home insulated
- Keep pets inside or in shaded areas with plenty of water
Keep your trips to the beach and pool days safe this summer by practicing these simple rules below:
- Watch ocean warnings and be cautious of high tide
- Swim with a buddy, especially in the ocean
- Be sure to have enough life jackets for everyone on a boat and that they fit everyone properly
- Enroll children in swimming lessons, if needed
When traveling on vacation this summer, you’ll want to make sure your home is protected.
- Secure every door and window (especially older sliding glass doors)
- Arrange to have a friend or neighbor get your mail and newspapers
- Avoid leaving a spare key outside – it’s an open invitation to burglars
- Place a security sign in your yard (whether you have a security system of not)