Summer is almost here and with schools closing, that means more time for family vacations! After a year of being inside and now that vaccines are being rolled out more, you want to get outside and enjoy time with your family. While COVID-19 is still a concern, we have prepared some helpful tips to keep you and your family safe this summer.
Beat the heat
Summer is all about being outside, but make sure that the heat doesn’t ruin all of the the fun for you and your family.
- Drink plenty of water (The recommendation is that you drink half of your body weight in ounces of water daily).
- Apply a high SPF sunscreen and reapply often.
- Drink plenty of water when it’s hot outside. Avoid heavy alcohol and caffeine if possible.
- Keep curtains drawn to help decrease temperature inside.
- Install weather strips under doors to help keep your home insulated.
- Keep pets inside or in shaded areas with plenty of water.
Keep your trips to the beach and pool days safe this summer by practicing these simple rules below:
- Watch ocean warnings and be cautious of high tide.
- Swim with a buddy, especially in the ocean.
- To cautious of COVID-19, try to visit pools and beaches during non-peak hours.
- Be sure to have enough life jackets for everyone on a boat and that they fit everyone properly.
- Enroll children in swimming lessons, if needed.
When traveling on vacation this summer, you’ll want to make sure your home is protected.
- Secure every door and window (especially older sliding glass doors).
- Arrange to have a friend or neighbor get your mail and newspapers.
- Avoid leaving a spare key outside – it’s an open invitation to burglars.
- Place a security sign in your yard (whether you have a security system of not).