HURRICANE PREPARATION ESSENTIALS
Hurricane season is something that Floridians are all too familiar with, but when it comes to being prepared, you can never over do it. Please take a moment to get some essential tips to ensure that you are fully prepared this hurricane season.
MAKE A PLAN
Even if there is no threat of a hurricane or severe weather at the moment, it is always necessary to have an emergency plan for you and your family.
- Plan your evacuation route well ahead of time
- Buy emergency supplies and keep on hand
- Take an inventory of your personal property
- Review your insurance policies
- Take steps to protect your home/business
PREPARE YOUR FAMILY
It is crucial that your family understands your emergency plan and continues to stay updated on the storm. Understanding the difference between a hurricane “watch” and a hurricane “warning” is very important.
- A “hurricane watch” means hurricane conditions are possible in a specified area, but there’s a chance they may not occur.
- A “hurricane warning” is issued 36 hours before tropical storm–force winds are expected.
PREPARE AN EMERGENCY FOOD AND WATER SUPPLY
Hurricanes can easily disrupt your food and water supply. Make sure you have at least 3-5 days worth of non-perishable foods that require little to no cooking or refrigeration.
HAVE EMERGENCY CASH AVAILABLE
Whenever severe weather hits, you can almost guarantee that the power will go out. In this case, you will not be able to withdraw money from the ATM. It is recommended that you have at least $300-$500 in various increments.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FLOOD INSURANCE
Flood insurance is not covered on a standard homeowners insurance policy but is advisable for all homeowners. Typically, a separate flood policy needs to be purchased. Please note, there is a waiting period after purchasing flood insurance that can be anywhere from 1 to 30 days. Call us to discuss your flood insurance options today.